Yeast infection is a common health issue for many women. It occurs due to a fungus in areas that have skin folds such as the tongue and the vagina. It can also affect the body of individuals who are overweight or obese.
A yeast infection may not directly affect your fertility but may cause obvious discomfort during intercourse. Frequent infections could also affect the pH balance of the vagina, and make it difficult for the sperm to reach the uterus.
Here’s what you should know about yeast infection.
Symptoms and Treatment
These are the common symptoms which may indicate a possible yeast infection:
- Mild to severe itching around the vagina
- Burning sensation during urination
- Burning sensation after intercourse
- Swelling, irritation, redness, and fissures in the vulva
- Thick white discharge
- Odor from the discharge
Yeast infection is easily treatable using a medicated cream. See your doctor about it and they may suggest oral or topical medication, depending on whether you are pregnant or not. These medications help control fungal growth.
Tips to Prevent Yeast Infection
The following steps can help you prevent yeast infection:
- Avoid wearing clothes that trap moisture. Wear cotton or other light fabrics that allow air to pass through.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes. This can create a conducive environment for fungus to breed.
- Avoid perfumed baths and shower gels and soaps, especially if you have a frequent yeast infection.
- If your partner is suffering from a yeast infection, avoid sexual intercourse. The fungus spreads through contact so it is best to avoid it while you have an active infection.
- Avoid taking antibiotics without consulting your doctor.
- Eat a healthy diet and reduce your sugar consumption.
- Avoid using birth control pills.
- Don’t use public swimming pools and hot tubs if you get a frequent yeast infection.
- Eat more probiotic foods and yogurt.
- Ask your doctor about supplements that will strengthen your immunity and build resistance against yeast infections.
In conclusion, the yeast infection will not affect your fertility but it will surely cause a lot of discomforts when you’re trying to conceive. To know more about ways to take care of yeast infection, visit our doctors at KIMS Cuddles.
*Information shared here is for general purpose Please take doctors’ advice before taking any decision.