Once you have brought your newborn home, the most important thing on your list should be to keep him or her warm and nourished. Knowing skin care tips for babies is crucial because newborn skin is delicate and it requires special care.
Besides the normal rashes, different fragrances, chemicals or even detergents and baby products can cause irritation, allergies, dryness and chap on your infant’s skin. But if you know the right skin protection tips, you can save your baby from all such issues. So let’s have a glance at the skin care tips for babies that will help you to protect your babies skin.
Natural skin care advice for babies
A newborn baby has a natural baby skin defensive mechanism with wrinkly skin and the protective covering known as vernix. This skin layer naturally peels off in the initial first week of the baby. So you need to make sure not to invade this natural process by rubbing or treating their baby’s skin, with creams and lotions in the initial first week. However, in case your child is born past the due date, then the naturally peeling off process is likely to be already finished while they are inside the womb.
Skin care tips for babies.
Besides not invading with the natural skin defensive mechanism of the babies, certain other skin protection tips for your newborns are explained below. The most crucial thing which you should remember before practising any skin care tips for babies is that in the case of newborns and infants, ‘less is more’.
- Do not commit the mistake of bathing your baby frequently. By frequently, here we mean not to bathe your baby more than three times in a single week during the first year of your baby’s life. In case you frequently bathe your baby, you are only depriving his/her skin of natural oils. Not only this, but frequent bathing can even lead to dry skin or sometimes amplify eczema. So this is one of the most crucial skin protection tips to remember for your infant.
- Instead of bathing, you can conduct a sponge bath two to three times a week. This is because generally, the newborns don’t get very dirty except for the diaper changes or droolings. Since they are not working, playing or working out, they are generally clean. Between the sponge baths, you can simply clean your baby’s diaper area and mouth with a cleanser or little water.
- Make sure not to use Scented baby products on your baby’s skin during the early months. You never know which product or ingredient can prove to be harmful or allergic to your infant’s skin.
- It is quite essential to wash your baby’s clothes before they are worn. However, while washing, make sure to use a baby laundry detergent that is free from any dyes or fragrances. Due to the same reason, it is advised not to wash your baby’s clothes, blanket or bedding with your family’s clothes. Another alternative here can be to use the same baby laundry detergent for the entire family.
- To evade the problems of eczema or dry skin on your baby, you should prefer soft clothing, like cotton.
- In order to avoid diaper rashes, check your baby’s diaper frequently and change them if they are wet or soiled.
- You should avoid using baby wipes and instead use a soft cloth. The reason behind this is that some of the wipes have alcohol or perfumes in them that can further irritate your child’s skin and cause rashness.
So these are some of the important skin care tips for babies that you should follow.
To know more about baby care in the first year, you can read our other articles mentioned below.
*Information shared here is for general purpose. Please take doctors’ advice before making any decision.