The Disease Control and Prevention Centers (CDC) says, “Many illnesses may be avoided or managed by appropriate personal hygiene, including washing of hands and other areas of the body.”
Personal hygiene is not only about keeping yourself clean but also about preventing the spread of contagious diseases. Most of the viral infections that we witness spread through the droplet transmission or faecal-oral route. Once settled on an object or surface, these viruses will get transmitted to others through their hands. Thus, personal hygiene, especially washing hands, will eradicate such transmissions.
Personal hygiene and hand hygiene are very important. It’s vital to teach kids about cleanliness and establish an early personal hygiene regimen since they are more sensitive to illnesses.
What is personal hygiene for children?
Personal hygiene includes several daily activities like swimming, teeth brushing and hands washing. Regardless of whether your children attend school or visit places like parks or somewhere else, they touch or be in contact with dirt and grime that carry germs causing sickness. Indeed, germs are in the environment everywhere. Children tend to put their toys and hands in their mouths more frequently when compared to adults. These can be passed into their hands and enter the body of the kid, causing different illnesses and infections. This can be prevented via personal hygiene practices.
Personal Hygiene Importance For Children
Toddlers and kids do not have complete immunity developed. They are prone to more diseases when compared to adults. Personal hygiene will significantly help them in avoiding/preventing diseases.
Good hygienic practices allow your children to:
- Stay healthy, free of bacterial infections and disorders. Dangerous and critical viral / bacterial infections can be successfully prevented.
- Keep and enjoy a healthy body image – individuals with bad hygiene have a negative body image that might interfere with their social lives.
- Allows them to feel good about themselves.
- Develop a healthy personality – a clean and well-dressed image enhances your self-confidence and your chances of success in professional and social life.
- Recurrent infections are eliminated, and this leads to a healthier weight growth of the child.
Children are unable to carry out their hygiene with knowledge or abilities. Parents must thus monitor their behaviour. And inculcate the sense of hygiene and its importance right from early childhood. The most remarkable approach to educate children on cleanliness is by beginning at home early, with basic routines. You can contact your paediatrician for more suggestions and tips about your child’s growth and hygienic habits development.
*Information shared here is for general purpose. Please take doctors’ advice before taking any decision.